Payments for Work done on Lump Sum Contracts
311. In making payments for works carried out on lump sum contracts the following procedure should be observed:
(1) In the case of works relating to all classes of repairs and petty works for which plans and drawings are not required, no payment should be made to the contractor during the execution of the work. The money due to him should be paid in a lump sum on completion of the work to the satisfaction of the local officer.
(2) In case of works where detailed estimates and plans are required, and the contract is given in Form no. 30-C, the contractor shall be paid on the completion of each calendar month a sum of 75 per cent of the total value of the work done since the last payment. When the work shall be completed, the contractor shall be paid a sum of 75 per cent of the total value of the work done since the last payment and 15 per cent of the total value of the work done according to the best estimate of the same that can be made so that the total amount of payments made up-to-date may be 90 per cent of the total value of work done. The contractor shall be paid the balance of all moneys due or payable to him under or by virtue of the contract within six months from the completion of the works.
(3) Subject to the terms of the contract and such instructions as may be laid down by the Government from time to time to ensure that the works are executed in accordance with the prescribed specification, plans and drawings, payments for work done are not made to the contractors otherwise than on the certificate of the officers-in-charge of the work as detailed in rule (4) below.
(4) In the case of payments made before the completion of a work in accordance with the provisions of rule (2), a certificate will be given by a responsible officer (not below the rank of a Tahsildar) to the effect that, by superficial or general measurement or by some other suitable method, which should be specified, he has satisfied himself that not more than 75 per cent of the value of the work done since last payment is being paid for and that, with the exception of authorized additions and alterations, the work has been done according to the prescribed specification.
(b) In the case of payments, made after the completion of the work, either under rule (1) or (2) there will be a certificate of completion of the work, signed by a responsible officer not below the rank of a Tahsildar to the effect that the work has been done according to prescribed specifications and the conditions of contract.
NOTEThe officer granting a certificate, will be held personally responsible for any overpayment, which may occur in consequence.
(5) If any alterations are made in a lump-sum contract in accordance with paragraph 307 (c), the local officer shall obtain a lump-sum tender for the cost of alterations and the sanction of the Head of Department to the changes and to the amount of tender. The approved amount will be added to, or substracted from, the contract sum. The additions or deductions will be shown in the bills when payments are made.
(6) When presenting their bills the contractors shall use Form nos. 34 and 35. These bills will form sub-vouchers to the bills in Form nos. 32 and 33.
(7) Form no. 34 is intended for intermediate payments, i.e. payments made before the completion of work under rules (2) and (4) (a), which may be made to the contractor in accordance with his contract.
(8) Form no. 35 is intended for final payments, i.e. payments made after the completion of work either under rule (1) or (2), made to a contractor. The contractor should be required to add to his acknowledgment a statement in his own hand-writing that he has received payment in full settlement of all demands.
NOTES(1) In the case of payment made under rule (1) there will be no deductions on account of intermediate payments nor a 10 per cent deduction on the total value of work done.
(2) From the final bill paid to the contractor (Form no. 35) the total, advances made to him in the running account bills (Form no. 34) or other recoverable payments will be deducted by short payment from the total value of the work done.