91. The recovery of rents from Government servants occupying rentable buildings in charge of the Public Works Department is made by deduction from their pay bills through, the Treasury Officer or other disbursing officer concerned.

Heads of Offices will be responsible for the proper recovery of rent from non-gazetted government servants employed under them ; and in the case of both Gazetted and non-gazetted officers deductions on account of rent will be shown in the pay and establishment bills by the officers drawing the bills.

Government may, in special cases, exempt officers from this rule and authorize payment in cash on presentation of a bill. If an officer so authorized fails to make payment on presentation of a bill the Public Works Department will send him a reminder and, if he again fails to pay, will report the case to Government in the Administrative Department for suitable action. If the officer fails to adduce adequate reasons for the non-payment, Government will cancel the order exempting him from the general rule.

In cases where rent is payable for the actual period of occupation of buildings, the officers, if authorized to make payments on presentation of bills, shall be responsible for informming the executive engineer concerned of the dates of occupation.

For rules regarding the recovery of rents of buildings under the control of other departments, see Chapter XIII.

NOTES—(1) Amounts due on account of the hire of Government furniture or on account of the value of articles of furniture and other Government property lost or damaged by a Government servant as well as any other dues for which a Government servant may be liable to Government in respect of the residence allotted to him may also be recovered either in cash or by deduction from pay bills in accordance with this rule.

(2) The system of direct recovery in cash from employees of other division and departments is ordinarily not suitable when the rent recoverable is dependent upon the rate of pay of the occupant.

91-A. The "overdue" charges for electric supply made to Government servants by the Public Works Department, may be recovered from them by deduction from their pay bills in accordance with the procedure laid down in paragraph 92.

92. When recoveries of rent or other charges are to be effected under paragraph 91 and 91-A through a Treasury Officer or other disbursing officer a demand in Form no. 3, statement of rents recoverable in cash or by deduction from pay bills, is sent by the divisional engineer in duplicate or triplicate, as the case may be, before the close of each month, to that officer who will make the necessary recoveries and return one copy of the statement duly completed. In the case of rents recoverable from Government servants whose pay is drawn by the heads of their offices on a consolidated bill cashed at a Treasury a demand in Form no. 3 should be sent to the drawing officer, who after making necessary deductions in the pay bills, will forward the demand statements along with the pay bills to the Treasury or disbursing officer. The latter, who pays the bill, will complete the statements and return them to the divisional engineers concerned.

1. In cases of cash recovery from Government servants, the divisional engineer should obtain from the disbursing officers a certified statement in Form no. 3.

2. In Form 3 will also be included any amounts due on account of the hire of Government furniture, the value of articles of furniture and other Government property lost or damaged by a Government servant as well as any other dues for which a Government servant may be liable to Government in respect of the residence allotted to him, vide paragraph 91.

3. A separate Form 8 should be prepared in respect of each tenant who is a gazetted Government servant and who draws his pay direct from the Treasury. For other Government servants there should be a single consolidated form for each class of establishment whose pay is drawn in a separate bill. Particulars in regard to this should be obtained by the departmental officer from the drawing officer.

4. In the case of gazetted Government servants, Form no. 3 will be filled up from the information contained in the last statement of demands received from the Treasury Officer who is required to fill in columns (5) and (6) of the statement of demands (Form no. 3) and show the emoluments of the occupant corrected up-to-date. When, however, a new tenant goes into occupation of a residence the divisional engineer will intimate the fact to the Treasury Officer and ask for the details of his emoluments. In the case of non-gazetted servants Form no. 3 will be prepared on the basis of information to be obtained similarly from the drawing officers.

5. Treasury Officers and other disbursing officers have instructions to recover the amounts specified by the divisional engineer without prior reference to the tenants and to note in the statement of rents the particulars of emoluments and of changes therein in respect of Government servants whose rent is limited to a precentage of such emoluments. With a view to guard against the omission to recover the enhanced rent due to an increase in the emoluments of Government servants occupying Government residences, Treasury and disbursing officers should not forget to fill in columns (5) and (6) of the statement of demands (Form no. 3). In cases of a change in the rate of pay or drawal of arrears by gazetted servant, the Treasury Officer should give full details of the amount involved, and the dates from and to which the extra pay accrued. In the case of non-gazetted servants this duty devolves on the head of office. The certificate printed at the foot of the statement will invariably be signed by the Treasury Officer or the head of office, as the case may be.

6. If the rent recoverable from a Government servant is limited to a certain percentage of his emoluments and such emoluments are changed retrospectively the rate at which rent is recovered should also be changed retrospectively.

7. If an officer responsible for the collection of rent becomes aware that the emoluments of a Government servant have been changed in respect of a period during which he occupied a Government residence at some other station or stations, he should see that the intimation of the change of emoluments is given to the departmental officers at stations concerned to enable them to recover the arrears or rent where necessary.

93. If a Government servant vacates his quarters before the last day of a month, owing to his departure on transfer, leave or retirement, the demand for the rent for the broken period should be made at once, so that the amount due may be recovered before his departure. In cases where recovery cannot be effected a note should be made on the last pay certificate so that the amount may be recovered in the district to which the Government servant has been transferred. If, however, a Government servant leaving the station is paid up to the date of departure, recovery of rent must be effected from him before he leaves the station.

94. Pending orders on a representation against an assessment, the amount assessed must be paid by tenants on demand. Should the representation prove successful, the excess amount charged should be adjusted as soon as orders are issued, by a reduction in the assessment of a subsequent month, or if this is not practicable or convenient by an actual repayment.

NOTE—For rules regarding residences not under the control of the Public Works Department, see Chapter XIII.

back2_b.gif (10045 bytes) home4_b.gif (7945 bytes)